vim & python

Simon Burton simonb at NOTTHISBIT.webone.com.au
Tue Mar 2 18:59:27 EST 2004

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:51:24 -0800, sb wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a bunch of questions about using python scripting in vim and about
> editing python with vim.

I'm very happy with word completion.

>From ":help ins-complet":

For example, the following will map <Tab> to either actually insert a <Tab> if
the current line is currently only whitespace, or start/continue a CTRL-N
completion operation: >

	function! CleverTab()
	   if strpart( getline('.'), 0, col('.')-1 ) =~ '^\s*$'
	      return "\<Tab>"
	   else
	      return "\<C-N>"
	endfunction
	inoremap <Tab> <C-R>=CleverTab()<CR>

I found out about this wrt "pydiction" which parses python files
and outputs a diction file with words for vim to complete on. However,
I don't use it, as it pollutes the completion namespace too much.

Simon.