PEP 328: Imports: Multi-Line and Absolute/Relative

Stephen Horne steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 11:44:31 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:04:22 -0500, "John Roth"
<newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:

>> While that makes some sense, what about "uncle" references within the
>> current package?
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by "Uncle." The term usually
>means "parent's brother" or "some son of your grandparents
>other than your father" so I'd assume it would go up one
>directory and then sideways, which would require going up
>another directory.
>
>If you are refering to another module in the same directory
>that this one came from, then I'd code that as:
>
>import *.foo
>
>However, possibly you meant "cousin?"

That doesn't sound right either.

A cousin is an uncles son. Maybe he meant sibling or brother.

sibling = sideways ref
uncle   = up then sideways ref
cousin  = up then sideways ref then down

OTOH, it depends where you consider the start point to be. It seems
pointless to have the start point as 'self', so maybe the start point
is 'father'. A simple reference would then be to a sibling (implicit
up then down) and a sideways reference to an uncle.

I'm probably just confused, though I'd love to know exactly how.

--
Steve Horne