creating lists question?

Jere Kahanpaa kahanpaa at gstar.astro.helsinki.fi
Sat Mar 27 04:46:38 EST 2004

Hi.

spisatus <spisatus at coqui.net> wrote:
> Josiah,
> Now I know I have a long way to go:O)

> I'm not sure this is doing what I want it to do. In the example I gave I
> want a new list call "aaa" another list called "bbb"... so I can append to
> the new list  i.e., bbb.append().  It may be that your example does this but
> it appears to be (with my limited knowledge) that it's creating a list of
> lists, when all I want is a new isolated list.

OK, now I understand what you are trying to do. Personally I'd store the
lists in a dictionary:

names = ['aaa','bbb','ccc']
lists = {}

for name in names:
   lists[name] = []

lists['aaa'].append('foo')

print lists['aaa'][0]
print lists.items()

This has the added benefit that you can operate on all lists by iterating
over namedlists.values().

Jere
--
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for one day I may have to eat them
                                                           - Daryl Benson