Help needed with gettext.install (solved)

Eric Martel marer at videotron.ca
Fri Mar 5 13:19:30 EST 2004

Eric Martel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Mandrake Cooker and just upgraded Python to 2.3.3.
>
> A Python-based program I use often is Pybliographer; since the Python
> update, I get the following error when trying to start Pybliographer:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/pybliographer", line 40, in ?
>     gettext.install (progname, localedir, unicode = True)
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'install'
>
> I don't know much about Python, but here is a Python session from the
> shell (for which I was inspired by something I found on Google):
>
> Python 2.3.3 (#2, Feb 17 2004, 11:45:40)
> [GCC 3.3.2 (Mandrake Linux 10.0 3.3.2-6mdk)] on linux2
>  >>> import gettext
>  >>> gettext.__dict__['textdomain']
> <function textdomain at 0x403f7cdc>
>  >>> gettext.__dict__['install']
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> KeyError: 'install'
>
> So it really looks like the 'install' method is not available for the
> object 'gettext', while the method 'textdomain' is. I talked about it on
> a Cooker list, but no one was aware of what could cause this problem
> (and I was apparently the only one to experience it), so I'm asking to
> you guys: do you know what could be missing/wrong on my system to cause
> such an error?

I found out that the problem was with the new gettext.py file that was
installed with the Cooker update I did: for a reason I don't know, the
file was very different from the one found inside the official Python
2.3.3 sources: I just copied the latter onto the bad one and everything
was fine. I alerted the Cooker community.

--
Eric Martel
Sainte-Foy (Québec)

Copyleft 2004 Eric Martel