[OT] Compilable Python-like language?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Mar 20 11:04:19 EST 2004

[Ed Cogburn]

> I'm just curious if such a beast exists out there.  I've googled
> around some and read some programming language websites but I have yet
> to find a language similar to Python that can be compiled to binary.
> [...] Is there such a thing?

What is your real need?  Why do you consider important to compile
something to an executable binary?  The goal is executing a program
written in Python, or Python-like language, isn't it?

If the goal is speed, you might not obtain much by the mere fact of
having a binary, and might be surprised anyway by the bloat of size.
There are avenues, Pyrex is a good example, in which you may write
Python-like code which runs at C speed, if you do proper compromises.

If the goal is obfuscation, you might consider Perl from the start! :-)