process wrapper?

Steve @ Waypath steve at waypath.com
Mon Mar 29 14:17:51 EST 2004

Donn,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't yet implemented a working spawnv call, so
I'm not confident my tests are valid. Here's a sample:

##########
File: test1.py
------------
import os, time
if __name__=='__main__':
 os.spawnv(os.P_NOWAIT,'python',['test2.py'])
 for step in range(10):
  print 'test1 checking in'
  time.sleep(1)

##########
File: test2.py
------------
import time
if __name__=='__main__':
 for step in range(10):
  print 'test2 checking in'
  time.sleep(1)

##########
stdout:
# python test.py
test1 checking in
test1 checking in
[ 10 iterations of 'test1 checkin in'; none of 'test2 checking in']

###########
While test 1 is running, a ps (in another shell):
# ps x | grep python
11726 pts/1  S   0:00  python test1.py
11727 pts/1  Z   0:00 [python <defunct>]
11729 pts/2  S   0:00 grep python

I see this defunct thing with every spawnv test I try. The defunct process
goes away when the calling process (test1.py, in this case) finishes. Where
am I going wrong here?

Thanks
Steve @ Waypath.com

news:1080539401.173853 at yasure...