parsing emails

Riccardo Galli riccardo_cut-me at cut.me.sideralis.net
Sat Mar 20 13:35:15 EST 2004

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:29:40 -0800, Michele Simionato wrote:

> I use Mozilla or Netscape, so my emails are stored in the nsmail
> directory
> or the Mozilla's equivalent. What's the simplest way to look at them
> and
> extract the mails with a given subject? In principle I could use a
> regular expression, but I bet there are better solutions already
> available.
> Second question: are Mozilla and Netscape compatible, i.e. are the
> emails stored with the same format and can I use the same extraction
> method on both?
>
> TIA,
>

>              Michele Simionato

Ciao Michele,
maybe you could use something like that

"""code not tested"""
import email
import mailbox

fp=file('fileName','r')
mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp, email.message_from_file)

msg_list=[]
for msg in mbox.next():
    if msg['Subject']=="the subject you're searching for":
        msg_list.append(msg)
fp.close()

for msg in msg_list:
    print msg

Dunno about Mozilla/Netscape compatibility, but I think they'll use the
same mail format.

Ciao,
Riccardo

--