ANN: IPython 0.6.4 is out.

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 10 08:18:28 EST 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

>Robert Kern wrote:
>

>>Fernando Perez wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks!  That is indeed my intention, so I'll probably follow your advice.
>>>But will this mean that unsuspecting souls using CVS will get HEAD
>>>automatically? If that's the case, I'll add a nice warning about HEAD
>>>becoming _really_
>>>unstable for a while, so I don't burn anyone.  So far HEAD has been the
>>>place for users to get cutting-edge bugfixes, so at least I should warn them
>>>that this may change in the future.
>>>

>>You could also leave CVS HEAD as it is and hop on the SVN bandwagon for
>>the new version.
>>
>>Come on! You know you want to!
>>

>Mmh.  I've thought about it.  The problem is that I'm addicted to Cervisia
>(KDE's CVS gui), esp. to its super-clean graphical diff interface.  And SVN
>support in cervisia is not there yet, unfortunately.  Suggestions?

Sounds like you need to get off of that dinosaur of an operating system
you're running and move to something a little more modern.  Like Windows
XP.  That way, you can use TortoiseSVN.  :-)

All joking aside, I've found that TortoiseSVN (<blush> yes, on Windows)
is actually a pretty good tool.  I do all of my real work on my Linux
station, then when I get ready to commit (or what have you), I go to my
Windows box, look at the Samba network share, and use Tortoise.

I just checked and there is a decent-looking-at-first-glance GUI tool
available for SVN called RapidSVN.  I downloaded it for Linux, but,
alas, it requires wxWindows and I don't have that installed and
configured on that box just yet.  So, I installed it on (<blush> again)
Windows and it doesn't look too bad.  I think I'll spend some time today
and get RapidSVN running on my Linux box as I would love to be able to
do everything from one place.

So, if you're thinking about SVN, you may want to take a peek at Rapid
(http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/).  AFAICT, this is the only GUI client that
will work on Linux that is being actively developed.  Found a couple of
projects on SourceForge, but nothing looks alive.

Jeremy Jones