Python needs a CPyAN

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Wed Nov 3 12:28:37 EST 2004

    >> Hell, people rarely even mention Perl these days

    Steve> -----------------------------------------
    Steve> location           number of hits for
    Steve> Python    Perl
    Steve> -----------------------------------------

    Steve> Monster.com             18     552

... etc.

This does not take away the fact that a few years ago, it was felt
that Python is in a bloody fight over popularity with Perl. It was
felt that Perl still had this or that over Python; this doesn't seem
to be the case anymore. Python is no longer the obscure up-and-coming
scripting language. It is used in several high-profile places, while
Perl usage seems to be mostly going down in popularity. In the Open
Source world, Python aleady seems to have a higher profile than
Perl. The popularity of Python is already big enough to not be an
impediment for the company to switch over - it may be that there is
still a need to switch over in the first place, but that's just a
refreshing challenge ;-). Hence, I wouldn't be too worried about
competing with Perl.

Decision to use a library requires some thinking already, it's not a
big additional hurdle to download it from SF/whatever and add it to
the company version control system. I wouldn't mind a CPANish system,
but the lack of it isn't the bottleneck in Python adoption.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb