Concise idiom to initialize dictionaries

Frohnhofer, James james.frohnhofer at csfb.com
Tue Nov 9 11:40:48 EST 2004

My initial problem was to initialize a bunch of dictionaries at the start of a
function.

I did not want to do
def fn():
	a = {}
	b = {}
	c = {}
	. . .
	z = {}
simply because it was ugly and wasted screen space.

First I tried:

	for x in (a,b,c,d,e,f,g): x = {}

which didn't work (but frankly I didn't really expect it to.)
Then I tried:

	for x in ('a','b','c','d','e','f','g'): locals()[x]={}

which did what I wanted, in the interpreter.  When I put it inside a function,
it doesn't seem to work.  If I print locals() from inside the function, I can
see them, and they appear to be fine, but the first time I try to access one
of them I get a "NameError: global name 'a' is not defined"

Now obviously I could easily avoid this problem by just initializing each
dictionary, but is there something wrong about my understanding of locals,
that my function isn't behaving the way I expect?