Delphi underrated, IDE clues for Python

Caleb Hattingh caleb1 at telkomsa.net
Fri Nov 26 20:46:47 EST 2004

I have been using Delphi 6 at work for several years now (python where I
can squeeze it in!).

As a programming environment, Delphi is *awesome*.  Sure, it's statically
typed.  Sure, it's proprietry. Sure, it is Windows-based.

BUT as an IDE, the Delphi environment is amazing.  What I want in a Python
IDE is the Delphi ide, but with python as the language.  The
*code-insight*, code/class completion, integrated debugging, integrated
help, and *incredibly* fast GUI design is a killer combination.  We
actually use Delphi mostly for numerical stuff (chemical reactor
modelling), and find its runtime speed is pretty good.  The other amazing
thing is that Delphi exhibits the fastest compilation I have seen in a
native optimising compiler.  Working with it is almost like working in an
interpreter.

So why is my wish to use Python if I think Delphi is so great?

Because Python is dynamic and compact while still easy to read (although
decorators have curbed my enthusiasm a little).  Python is just a better
language.  ObjectPascal syntax is very verbose (compared to Python).  The
Delphi IDE minimizes this issue to great extent with several
code-completion mechanisms, but I tried to use FPC several days ago
(without Lazarus), and couldn't type up a simple unit without referring
the docs - After having used Delphi for 5 years!  I was 80% productive in
Python after reading the tutorial *once* (but probably not with the most
optimal code).

STILL...Having a Delphi-like IDE for Python would make me giddy.    I know
there are several ever-improving options out there already...I guess I am
waiting to see which one floats to the surface.  I also tend to want to
use Tk because it is the 'standard' while the more exciting work seems to
be with the other toolkits, wx, GTK, etc.   I am keen to see what becomes
of Tk3000 though.

Thanks
Caleb