Advice needed

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sun Nov 14 02:40:11 EST 2004

On 13 Nov 2004 14:02:08 -0800, Chad Crabtree <flaxeater at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Alberto" <aaflores at gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1100361297.413616.17890 at f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
>> I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
>> like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
>> Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python.  Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Well if you have all those languages then I don't think there's any
> real reason to spend the time learning python.  Except if a cooler
> object system, minimialistic syntax, and a groovy community are
> important to you then perhaps you should learn python.

IMHO there are always reasons to learn new languages, especially if they are
as simple as Python.  Could be hard though if all the OP's work is closely
tied to the languages on the list above (Java seems especially good at
building a whole Java-only world around it). Some openings I see:

- There's no language with dynamic typing on his list (except maybe C++
  templates and advanced Perl, if the OP is into that).
- There's no language that's easily embedded as an internal scripting
  language in the OP's list.
- If the OP doesn't really know Perl all that well, Python is a better
  fit for most perlish things.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!