scripting languages vs statically compiled ones

Isaac Gouy igouy at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 17:15:17 EST 2004

torbenm at diku.dk (Torben Ægidius Mogensen) wrote in message
> You could use the "The Great Computer Language Shootout" at
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/craps.php .  It may give the
> impression that you can't trust the numbers it gives, but I believe
> this is mainly because it is more honest than the majority of other
> language comparisons.

Thank you! That's very kind - some folk seem to assume it's because
the authors are plain stupid ;-)

However, the websites been rearranged over the last month, so it would
be better to start from one of the main pages:

   http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
   http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/great/
   http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/sandbox/

> The main problem with this test is that the benchmark programs are fairly
> small, so the results may not be representative of large programs.

We'd quite like to include larger programs - but would people
volunteer their time to write larger programs in all those languages?