sh: test: argument expected

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Nov 8 07:42:02 EST 2004

Iván Cabria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have run the script using "python scriptname.py" and the error does
> not go away. I got the same error:
>
> sh: test: argument expected
>

> I have checked again that the first line of the python script is
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> There are no blank lines or empty spaces before
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>

> I also did "grep loginname /etc/passwd" to confirm I was using bash, and the
> line I got ended with
>
> :/usr/bin/bash

That's as may be, but I can't escape the conclusion that your script is
involving the shell somehow - maybe the GetPotentialEnergy() method
calls os.system() or some other piece of functionality.

About all I can say is that the error message you are seeing is
definitely NOT from the Python interpreter. Try putting a print
statement of some kinf as the second loine of your script and make sure
that Python is actually running that script. If it is, you'll need to
find out where it's calling shell functionality.

regards
  Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com