Python 2.4 and Visual C++ Express

Jive someone at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 24 16:12:10 EST 2004

"Steve Menard" <menard.nospam.steve at gmail.nospamisaid.com> wrote in message
news:30ji62F31ppn0U1 at uni-berlin.de...
> Jive wrote:
> > Are you saying that Python 2.4 will not compile under MS VC++ 6.0?
That's
> > horrifying.  Say it isn't so!!!  I have just ported Python to an
embedded
> > system using VC++ 6.0.  It will always be compiled using 6.0, for two
> > reasons: 1) I cannot afford the manhours for changing compilers, and 2)
Bill
> > Gates has enough money already, alright?  I would hate to think that I
am
> > now stuck at Python 2.3 for eternity.
> >

> That is not what I am saying. The "what's new in Python" claims python
> 2.4 will
> compile with both versions 6 and 7.1 of Microsoft's compiler.
>
> However, the  standard download, that most users will have, will be
> compiled using the 7.1. And so any binary packages to be installed on a
> 2.4 dist will also have to be compiled with 7.1.
>

> Steve

Do you mean if I install 2.4, I will have to find VC++ 7.1 versions of all
the extensions
I may be using?  If so, that's still borderline horrible, but I guess
Microsoft is the culprit. Annow
for something completely the same.

Will 7.1 extensions work with a Python.exe compiled under 6.0?

In any case, I think it would be a Good Thing if the Pythonistas provided a
download of 2.4
compiled under VC++ 6.0, in addition to the 7.1 one.

I don't suppose it will do any good to rant about Microsoft.  I believe it's
been done.