is there a tipping point for Python? [marketing]

Eric Pederson whereU at now.com
Mon Nov 15 03:45:00 EST 2004

I'm seeing Python mentioned a bit more in "help wanted" job descriptions, reflecting, I suppose, a modicum of inroads Python is making into various development or IT environments.

As I contemplated a posted job for a friend who meets the requirements, save the mention of desired Python competence, it occurred to me that it would not be hard for him (a competent SW engineer) to become competent in Python; in fact, that's a real Python strong point.

If we see Python increasingly in help wanted ads, one might expect competent job seekers to take the week or two it would take to get waist deep in Python (or do I over-estimate: is it more like two days for a competent SW engineer to learn and get practiced in Python?)

Python is so easy to learn, it's a natural choice for someone wanting to gain a broader skillset; when breadth of language knowledge becomes important, Python is an easy target.

If the pick-up of Python as an "extra" language becomes a trend, then I believe the tipping point will be reached, and a positive feedback loop will see the language adopted and employed much more widely, and blossom even further in the hands of a larger army of volunteers.

Of course, this would be the end of the IT world, for Python ruins one for programming in much of anything else.

... yes, I only smoke the good stuff.

What is a Perl?

Eric Pederson
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs