PIL for Python 2.4?

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Nov 22 06:58:33 EST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> David Fraser wrote:
>

>>I tried building PIL with mingw recently and had some failures I can't remember ...
>
> if you don't report your build problems, they will never get fixed (the
> image-sig is the right forum for this, and the best place to get answers
> to PIL-related questions).

Thanks, I'll try reproduce and mail it there...
<sigh> I'm on too many mailing lists already ...

>>It *did* make me think "I wish there was some Pure Python image-handling code". It seems like the
>>C linkage is mainly required for image formatting handling - I couldn't find any JPEG
>>reading/writing code in Pure Python ... would be nice :-)
>
> and incredibly slow.  PIL uses C for a reason.

I've recently discovered you can use the EXIF module to read thumbnails
that are embedded in a JPEG or TIFF file without having to parse all the
JPEG stuff. All I'm doing for my particular task is creating thumbnails
- I can imagine that this may be reasonably fast within Python.
Even if it was slow, it wouldn't neccessarily have to be *incredibly*
slow :-)

David