Protecting Python source

Peter Maas peter at somewhere.com
Mon Nov 29 05:04:50 EST 2004

RCS schrieb:
>> I am looking for methods of deploying applications with end users so
>> that the python code is tamper proof. What are my options ?
>

> An interesting question is, what makes your source code so innovative as
> to mandate this tamper proof thing?

I can think of 3 reasons to prevent tampering:

- You need money and want to sell your software on a "per seat" basis.

- You don't want customers to fiddle with your code and then innocently
   call for support and demand "bug fixes" for free.

- Your customer demands closed source because the code contains trade
   secrets.

Protecting source has nothing to do with innovation. It's about making
money.