determining the number of output arguments

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 03:20:48 EST 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:

>> But then again, I don't much like extended list slicing (I generally
>> only use the L[:y], L[x:] and L[x:y]  versions).
>
> It may be that in your specific line of work there is no opportunity or
> usefulness for the stride argument.  Statistically, however, it's

Indeed, those of us from the Numeric/numarray side of things rely every day on
extended slicing, and consider it an absolute necessity for writing compact,
clean, readable numerical python code.

It's no surprise that this syntax (as far as I know) originated from the needs
of the scientific computing community, a group where python is picking up users
every day.

Cheers,