newbie question

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 16 16:48:44 EST 2004

I have done shell programming in both python and perl for some time. I love
both languages for different reasons. At the risk of sounding like language
evangelicalism, though, I will advise you to use python exclusively.
Sometimes without thinking I still reach for perl to do 'shell' scripting (by
thinking in perl and beginning with the infamous "#! /usr/bin/perl -w"). In
these cases I invariably finish and say to myself "I should have done this in
python."

Take a look at the "os" module.

James

--