pep 336: Make None Callable

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Thu Nov 4 01:20:17 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Bengt Richter wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:59:43 -0700, The Eternal Squire <eternalsquire at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >PEP: 336
> >Title: Make None Callable
> >
> >     None should be a callable object that when called with any
> >     arguments has no side effect and returns None.
> >     rather than either (1) checking a method table entry against None

> I'd rather not complicate the meaning of None, I think ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Bengt Richter

I completely agree. As a note, I can remind a
PEP 312 -- Simple Implicit Lambda. So with implicit lambda this is just

:None

For example:

do_something(a, visitor1, visitor2, :None, :None)

which roughly translates to:

do_something(a, visitor1, visitor2, lambda:None, lambda:None)

Is it right time to start PEP 312

Anyway, please refer to PEP 312 in PEP 336

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd at onego.ru -