distutils and Debian

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 11 10:24:11 EST 2004

Colin J. Williams wrote:

> I have installed the Python*-dev packages, but my present problem
> centres on installing distutils.

Why are you trying to install distutils over the one provided by
python-dev? It's probably not a good idea.

> With >python setup.py install, I get:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 30, in ?
>     packages = ['distutils', 'distutils.command'],
>   File "/root/downloads/python/Distutils-1.0.2/distutils/core.py", line
> 102, in setup
>     _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
>   File "/root/downloads/python/Distutils-1.0.2/distutils/dist.py", line
> 130, in __init__
>     setattr(self, method_name, getattr(self.metadata, method_name))
> AttributeError: DistributionMetadata instance has no attribute
> 'get___doc__'
>
> I would welcome any suggestion as to how I can work around this.

I don't have a clue. It seems to be internal to the Distutils-1.0.2
source distribution and not using the distutils from python-dev. I
suggest asking on the distutils mailing list.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter