Python needs a CPyAN

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Nov 3 15:50:49 EST 2004

"Graham  Fawcett" <graham.fawcett at gmail.com> writes:

> A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>> And it should be noted I can already install Python packages with
>> dependencies by running a command such as "apt-get install
>> python2.3-gnome2", for example.
>
> Great point. Collectively, apt-get, yum et. al. and the underlying
> package models will get far more development time, more polishing and
> more real-world use than a PyPAN ever would.
>
> Perhaps what Python needs is for Win32 to grow a working apt-get...;-)

The distutils' created bdist_wininst installers in principle have all
that is needed to build something like that.  Except command line flags
for silent installation, maybe.  But since a silent installer has no
need to display a user interface, it would be simple to write a
bdist_wininst_silent in pure Python.

Thomas