Python OS

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Sat Nov 6 10:24:09 EST 2004

Benji York wrote:

> Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
>> Hm. I'll reread them myself and see if what has been achieved in this
>> field. But I seriously doubt that someone took a python interpreter and
>> started writing an OS.
>
> I am aware of at least one attempt.  See
> http://cleese.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi and the mailing list
> archive.  They managed to boot a specially modified VM and run simple
> Python programs.  Unfortunately the project was abandoned about a year
> ago.

And it backs my assertions:

Code. (Coincidently, "ABC" is one of the languages that Python was
originally based on)

Different components of Cleese live in different layers:

Layer 1
start-up code, low-level hardware services and any library code required by
Python virtual machine - ABC code

Layer 2
the Python virtual machine - C code

Layer 3
the kernel and modules - Python code

Layer 4
user-level applications - Python code

http://cleese.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/CleeseArchitecture

So the lowest layer _is_ written in assembler, C or something else that's
allowing for pythonesque source but generates assembler. That was precisely
my point.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch