Python 2.4: Why only assignments to None are forbiden?

Andrew Clover and-google at doxdesk.com
Sat Nov 13 12:18:10 EST 2004

Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:

> Anyway, the much more conservative proposal that disallows global
> variables that share a name with a builtins seems reasonable and largely
> backward compatible.

This still sounds undesirable to me.

 - it requires new authors to know and avoid all the builtins, even
   those they have no intention of using;

 - afterwards, adding any new builtins becomes a potentially
   app-breaking proposition.

Protecting None, False and True seems fine to me; they're extremely
common and part of the syntax itself in most languages. But banning a
global variable called 'license', for example, or a class 'Warning',
would be going too far IMO.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com