.pyc files...

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 14 05:10:10 EST 2004

Eddie Parker wrote:
> I suppose that does work... Although I'm *extra* anal, and would love it to
> be 'out-of-my-face' to begin with... :)
>
> Something like (in my_python_file.py):
>
> __PYC_DIRECTORY__ = './intermediate/'
>
> Would be awesome. Although I'm uncertain of a few things:

Does http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0304.html help?

"""
   Controlling Generation of Bytecode Files

Abstract

This PEP outlines a mechanism for controlling the generation and
location of compiled Python bytecode files. This idea originally arose
as a patch request [1] and evolved into a discussion thread on the
python-dev mailing list [2]. The introduction of an environment variable
will allow people installing Python or Python-based third-party packages
to control whether or not bytecode files should be generated at
installation time, and if so, where they should be written. It will also
allow users to control whether or not bytecode files should be generated
at application run-time, and if so, where they should be written.
"""

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com