Problems with python and threads under Freebsd

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue Feb 8 06:10:31 EST 2005

snacktime wrote:
> After debugging this some more I narrowed it down to an encryption
> function in pycrypto that is triggering the segfault.  I posted a bug
> report.  Don't really know enough about threading to know whether it's
> a python bug or a pycrypto bug, but I'll let someone else sort that
> out now..

If you get bus errors, there's a possibility that you are running out of
stack.

AFAIR, the default thread stack size for Posix builds is dependant on
the threading implementation.  This can be overridden when building Python.

With each gcc version since 2.9, the size of stack frames for generated
calls has increased.  If lowering the optimisation to -O or -Os when
building Python improves the situation, I'd suggest pursuing this
possibility further.