parsing IMAP responses?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 15 08:20:51 EST 2005

[Grant Edwards]
 >>>Is there a library somewhere that impliments the IMAP protocol
 >>>syntax?

[Paul Rubin]
 >>It's very messy.

[Grant Edwards]
 > It sure is.  You'd think something intended to be
 > machine-readable would be easier to parse.

IMHO, email is the most disgracefully badly spec'ced "application" in
existence: I'm sure the average modern-day scr1pt k1dd13 could do better.

SMTP: Have you ever tried to bounce processing? PITA.

POP: No virtual hosting support.

IMAP: You are in a twisty maze of passages, each slightly different .....

It's no wonder the spammers can ply their trade with such ease.

grumpily-y'rs,

--
alan kennedy