Trouble with mysql-python 1.2.0 on Solaris 8 sparc

Alec Wysoker alecw at pobox.com
Fri Feb 18 14:33:22 EST 2005

I need to be able to access mySQL 4.0 and 4.1 databases from python.  I
was hoping to find mysql-python 1.2.0 already built for Sparc, but no
such luck.  I've been struggling trying to get it build.  First, I had
to hack setup.py because mysql_config --cflags was returning -m64,
which wasn't right because this is on a 32-bit processor.  Then I got a
warning:

ld: warning: file /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient_r.a(libmysql.o):
wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

No idea if this is causing my current problem.

Finally, I seemed to get the thing built and installed, but why I try
to import MySQLdb, I get the following:

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py",
line 27, in ?
    import _mysql
ImportError: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/python: fatal: relocation error:
file /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/_mysql.so: symbol
mysql_errno: referenced symbol not found

Thanks,

Alec Wysoker