[perl-python] string pattern matching

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 1 22:07:47 EST 2005

Daniel Fackrell wrote:

> It seems to me that application of one of these solutions reduces the
> effectiveness of the other.  If enough persons killfile the threads, who
> warns the newbies?  And so those who don't killfile the threads to ensure
> that somebody is still guarding against misleading information to newbies
> continue dealing with it manually.

My point was, a sufficiently persistent pest will always generate enough
dissatisfaction to get people pointing out his uselessness.  Even when
others killfile him, there will be those that stick around to point out
his foolishness to others, including any newbies who might otherwise
conclude that Xah Lee knows what the hell he's talking about.

And, in fact, that's exactly what we're seeing.  It just seems to me
that any further institutionalization of criticism of Xah Lee's posts is
unnecessary; it's already being handled, at low levels of annoyance that
can be avoided by anyone with a killfile or mail filter.

   Divorces are made in Heaven.
   -- Oscar Wilde