Is Forth for real?

Sun Feb 12 12:38:03 EST 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:08:02 +0000, Cameron Laird wrote:

> In article <pan.2006.02.12.15.11.04.739314 at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au>,
> Steven D'Aprano  <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
>>on the web for each language. By comparison, even Forth gives 13 million
>>plus hits, and who uses Forth?
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> The programmers of, among other things, the FedEx bar-code reader,
> the Sun boot loader, and parts of the Space Shuttle.

Okay, so that's three... *wink*

You missed Apple's boot loader.

I love Forth. I'm no good at thinking at that low count-the-bytes level,
but if I was, I'd much prefer to use Forth than C or assembly. I've got a
bunch of Forth books here, and when I'm bored I read them for
entertainment, and dream. I love the fact that Forth is still in use. But
I'm under no illusions that there are millions of Forth developers getting
paid to write in Forth.

--
Steven.