Mutable numbers

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 21 02:38:15 EST 2006

Suresh Jeevanandam wrote:

> But why not have mutable numbers also in the language.

The short answer I'd give is probably that this is so easy to do with a
user-defined class that it's never been all that pressing.

> In any application most of the operation is numerical. So, i think, we
> should get a good speed advantage with the availability of mutable
> numbers. What do you think ?

Why do you think this would afford any speed advantage at all?  The
reason that math operations are potential slow in Python is because it's
interpreted; having mutable numerics doesn't change that fact.

   I will always remember / This moment
   -- Sade