how to kill a python process?

MackS mackstevenson at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:21:50 EST 2006

Hi Jorgen

You wrote that:

> $ head -1 foo3.py
> #!/usr/bin/python
>  $ ./foo3.py
>
> This is the traditional shebang form used for shell and Perl scripts,
> and it names the process 'foo3.py' so you can killall(1) it nicely.

It doesn't work on my system; I just get yet another process called
python. I just read that on some systems perl allows you to rename the
process by assigning to $0:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=401299

Is there a way to do the same in python? My trouble is that this are
small utilities that I start from the command line and later need to
stop; I just find myself unable to do so with stopping all of them...

Cheers

Mack