how do you pronounce 'tuple'?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Feb 12 23:30:25 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Yes, silly question, but it keeps me up at night.  :)

Silly you!

> I know it comes from the suffix -tuple, which makes me think it's
> pronounced as 'toople', but I've seen (at m-w.com) that the first
> pronunciation option is 'tuhple', so I wasn't sure. Maybe it's both, but
> which is most prevalent?

No suffix involved, tuples have a respectable mathematical history going
back centuries.

> Thanks! Now time to go back to reading the chapter on tuples...

"Tyoople", "toople" or "tupple" depending on who you are, where you grew
up and who you are speaking to. As with so many Usenet questions,
there's no right answer, only 314 wrong ones :-)

I teach on both sides of the Atlantic, and have learned to draw a mental
breath before trying to pronounce the word "router". Americans find the
British pronunciation ("rooter") hilarious, despite the fact they tell
me I drive on "Root 66" to get to DC. The Brits are politer, and only
snigger behind my back when I pronounce it as Americans do, to rhyme
with "outer".

except-that-there's-no-"t"-in-American-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119