Mac OS X Installation Problem

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 23:24:18 EST 2006

<Matt> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> 1) Does OS X have a thing like the Add/Remove Programs control panel on
> Windows XP?

Nope.  You install stuff by running "packages" (installers) or dragging
.app "files" to Applications, uninstall it normally by dragging them to
Trash.

> My Tiger system had Python v2.3.5 on it and I threw the files in the trash and

Very unwise move -- now your fax functionality (which Apple implemented
using their own special system build of Python 2.3.5) is unlikely to
work, for example.

> installed v2.4.1, which is working fine as far as I can tell. However, when I
> type python at the command line, I get "command not found" so,
>
> 2) How do I get OS X to recognize python at the command line?

Edit a ~/.bashrc file to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH.

Alex