KPanelApplet using Python

Varun Hiremath varunhiremath at iitm.ac.in
Fri Feb 24 13:42:22 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb, 2006 at 09:55:59AM -0800, David Boddie wrote:
> Varun Hiremath wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there is any way to make KDE PanelApplets
> > using Python. I have made a small window using Qt, kdeui nad
> > kdecore libs. Now I want to add it to the KDE kicker. Can I
> > get any help regarding this matter.
>
> The other responses in this thread have covered solutions that use
> the system tray, and you may want to try something like that with
> the KSystemTray class in kdeui. It's available in PyKDE, so you
> shouldn't have any trouble adding new items to kicker that way.
>
> However, you asked specifically about Panel Applets. Unfortunately,
> they are a lot more difficult to implement in Python because you
> need to write a library in C++ to load them. Some of us in the
> PyQt/PyKDE community did some work towards that, and had working
> applets but, as far as I know, they don't work with recent releases.
>
> You might get some additional help or advice about this if you try
> mailing the PyKDE list:

> Good luck!
>
> David

Hi,
Actually I want to fetch some text from a HTML Page and then display it using KPanelApplet.I am using BeautifulSoup for Parsing the HTML Page which I can do easily in Python . Now I don't want to switch to C++ because Parsing there will be tough. Can you suggest me some other way to do this.

Thank You

> --

Varun Hiremath
461, Jamuna Hostel