Python vs. Lisp -- please explain

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Feb 20 06:39:34 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Alexander Schmolck wrote:
>
> > My point was that Guido probably (and fortunately!) was unaware of the extent
> > to which you can have both dynamism and speed
>
> any my point was that chosing to ignore something doesn't mean
> that you're ignorant.

I think it's more charitable (or rather, it possibly expresses the
intent behind the quoted text more accurately or objectively) to
rephrase "ignorance on Guido's part" and "Guido... was unaware of" with
"Guido's deliberate design decisions upon considering previous work on
dynamic language runtime implementation" and "Guido chose to disregard
strategies illustrating" respectively. Not that I actually profess to
know what Guido's knowledge of the field was in the late 1980s or what
he actually knows right now beyond what he has said in various articles
and interviews.

> (but since you keep repeating this nonsense, it's clear that you're
> pretty ignorant wrt. software design.  too much CS exposure?).

Unfortunate choices of words notwithstanding, I think the contributor
in question raises interesting issues at a level way above this kind of
response. Not that I actually profess to know what his level of "CS
exposure" is beyond a brief perusal of his Google Groups profile, but I
don't see how that really comes into play here, apart from as a
convenient put-down label.

Paul