how do you pronounce 'tuple'?

Peter Maas peter.maas at somewhere.com
Mon Feb 13 18:17:14 EST 2006

Dave Hansen schrieb:
>> Latin             n-tuple
>> ---------------------------
>> ...               ...
>> triplex           triple
>> duplex            duple
>> simplex           simple
>
> When I was in 4th grade, I was taught to count to ten in latin: unos,
> duos, trace, quatro, quinque, sex, septem, octem, novem, decem

unus duo tres quattuor ... octo ...

But tuples mean threefold, twofold etc. and the Latin equivalents
are triplex duplex simples. That simple sounds weird may be due
to the fact that English speakeers perceive it as a native word
rather than a Latin import.

> Though I suspect "single" is correct.  Consider coronary bypass
> operations -- single, double, triple, quadruple...

That's OK but single stems from singularis (one-of-a-kind) rather
than from simplex (onefold) and doesn't fit as nicely to the other
tuples.

Peter Maas, Aachen