how do you pronounce 'tuple'?

Dave Hansen iddw at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:51:39 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:46:26 -0500 in comp.lang.python, Steve Holden
<steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

>Dave Hansen wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:30:25 -0500 in comp.lang.python, Steve Holden
>> <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
[...]
>>>"Tyoople", "toople" or "tupple" depending on who you are, where you grew
>>>up and who you are speaking to. As with so many Usenet questions,
>>>there's no right answer, only 314 wrong ones :-)
>>

>> FWIW, I've often heard the latter two, but never the first one.
>> "Tuple" by itself tends to be "toople," but as a suffix tends to be
>> "tupple."
>>
>No, but then you probably listen to the noos, not the nyoos, on the TV
>or radio. That's a particularly British pronunciation.

I have heard that pronunciation of "news," and not just from the
British.  Back in the mid-1980's I listened to a radio station with a
DJ who, in an attempt at humor, would prefix his news segments with a
nasal "And now, the nYoos!" with the first part of the Y heavily
stressed and about an octave higher in pitch than either end of the
word.  He wasn't trying to sound British, just mock-enthusiastic.

[...]
>> On NPR ([American] National Public Radio), there's a weekly music
>> program called "American Routes" pronounced such to conjure the
>> alternate "American Roots."
>>
>Never caught that. Must go get some batteries for my radio.

If you're interested, see http://www.americanroutes.org/

Their station list includes some who broadcast over the web.

Regards,
                                        -=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.