Single-file executables

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Feb 12 07:57:15 EST 2006

Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> Ravi Teja wrote:
>>Actually, py2exe (from version 0.6.1) onwards does create single file
>>exes without ANY additional dependencies.
>
> They still require an external MSVCR71.DLL if made with Python 2.4. PyInstaller
> 1.1 (to be released today) does not have this problem.

Can you describe how they get around that issue?  As far as I know, the
reason py2exe requires the external DLL is that the licensing of that
file does not permit completely free redistribution.  Does PyInstaller
actually bundle it, or does it include an interpreter without any
dependency on that file?

-Peter