listdir() - any way to limit # of file entries?

Peter A. Schott paschott at no.yahoo.spamm.com
Wed Feb 22 17:07:52 EST 2006

I want to build a program that does some archiving.  We have several programs
that have been dumping files into a folder (one folder) for some time now.  I
want to limit the number of files returned by listdir to avoid trying to build a
list with tons of entries.  I then want to move those files into a zip archive
for the appropriate day/month.

Is there any way to build a list of the first 1000 files or so in a folder?

Running Python 2.4.2 on Win32 with Win32 extensions.

Thanks.

-Pete Schott