Is Python a Zen language?

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Sat Feb 25 13:31:33 EST 2006

John Coleman wrote:
>    I have a rough classification of languages into 2 classes: Zen
> languages and tool languages. A tool language is a language that is,
> well, a *tool* for programming a computer. C is the prototypical tool
> language. Most languages in the Algol family are tool languages. Visual
> Basic and Java are also tool languages. On the other hand, a Zen
> language is a language which is purported to transform your way of
> thinking about programming. Lisp, Scheme, Forth, Smalltalk and (maybe)
> C++ are Zen languages.

I think that's a horrible classification. Every language is both.
"Transform your way of thinking" from what? There is no
distinguished canonical view of what a programming language looks
like, from which all others must be strange and wondrous
transformations.

Lisp and Forth are not tools for programming a computer? Of course
they are. Algol and Java don't transform people's thinking about
programming? Nonsense.

--
--Bryan