Python 3000 deat !? Is true division ever coming ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Feb 17 22:15:36 EST 2006

<seb.haase at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1140213665.105188.103450 at o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> not actively encouraged. The tutorial, which is maintained
>> and updated, still describes old style classes, and the
>> old division behaviour.

Perhaps the tutorials needs updating.

> My main point was/is:  why is there not more discussion about "true
> division" !!?

It was discussed to death a few years ago with probably 100s of posts.

> As you pointed out: the "true division" part of "Python3000" might be
> one of the "scariest" and should therefore be pointed out already in
> the tutorial !!  (It would look quite ugly to newcomers, though)

The tutorial should say to use // for int (floor) division.  There is
nothing scary about / or the future change of int/int if you only use / for
float division.

> Having said that:  I would vote against EVER introducing true division
> as default - because it will just PISS too many (long time python)
> people OFF. ;-)

The decision was made years ago.  The rationale is summarized in
 http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0238.html

In a sense, Python 3.0 is actively under development.  New features have,
are, and will be added to 2.X as they are developed.  Currently envisioned
changes and deletions are listed in
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-3000.html

I believe Guido's new job at Google gives him more time to work on Python
development than previously.  So I think we will see 3.0 sooner than might
have been envisioned just a few months ago.

Terry J. Reedy