PEP 354: Enumerations in Python

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Feb 28 20:15:13 EST 2006

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:

> A few random questions:
>
> a = enum ('foo', 'bar', 'baz')
> b = enum ('foo', 'bar', 'baz')

Two separate enumerations are created, and bound to the names 'a' and
'b'. Each one has three unique member values, distinct from any
others.

> what's the value of the following:
>
> a == b

False

(the enumeration objects are not the same, and don't contain the same
values)

> a is b

False

(the enumeration objects are not the same)

> a.foo == b.foo

False

(the comparison function returns NotImplemented when comparing values
from different enumerations. The Python interpreter [thanks Alex
Martelli :-)] will evaluate the comparison as False)

> a.foo is b.foo

False

(the members of each enumeration are created as separate values)

> len (a)

3

(enumerations are iterable)

> str (a)

Not defined in the current specification. Suggestions?

> repr (a)

Not defined in the current specification. Suggestions?

> hash (a)

-1210774164  # or some other hash value

(falls back on the 'object' hash function)

> type (a)

<type 'enum'>  # if included in the language
<class 'collections.enum'>  # if in the stdlib

> Can you make an enum from a sequence?

The current specification is for an enum constructor to accept its
member names as separate arguments, to allow for the expected common
use case::

    foo = enum('bar', 'baz', 'bucket')

> syllables = ['foo', 'bar', 'baz']
> c = enum (syllables)

Can be done with::

    c = enum(*syllables)

> You imply that it works from "An enumerated type is created from a
> sequence of arguments to the type's constructor", but I suspect
> that's not what you intended.

That's what I intended; a sequence of arguments. Is there a better way
to refer to the positional arguments collectively?

> BTW, I think this is a great proposal; enums are a badly needed part
> of the language.

Thanks. I hope we can arrive at a consensus view of how enums should
work in Python.

> There's been a number of threads recently where people called
> regex methods with flags (i.e. re.I) when integers were expected, with
> bizarre results.  Making the flags into an enum would solve the problem
> while retaining backwards compatibility.

Yes, this is a prime use case for enums. I tried to cover this in the
"Motivation"::

    Other examples include error status values and states
    within a defined process.

Can anyone think of a better way to express this, without necessarily
referring to any specific set of flags or states or codes or whatever?

--
 \        "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make |
  `\     you something else is the greatest accomplishment."  -- Ralph |