handling tabular data in python--newbie question

hyena as at hut.at
Wed Aug 29 08:32:49 EDT 2007

Hi,
  Just jump in python few days. I am wondering how to store and index a
table in python effectively and easily.I think the basic data types are not
very straight foward to handle a table (eg, from csv or data base.)

  I have a csv file, the first row of it is column names and the rest rows
are data. There are some tens of columns and hundreds rows in the file. I am
planning to use the column names as variables to access data, currently I am
thinking of using a dictionary to store this file but did not figure out a
elegant way to start.

  Any comments and suggestions are wellcomed. Please forgive me if this
question is too naive , and yes, I did search google  a while but did not
find what I want.

Thanks