Standard Python 2.4 module like "crypt" for Windows?

dananrg at yahoo.com dananrg at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 15:17:38 EST 2007

Is there a module available in the standard library, for Python 2.4
running on Windows, like "crypt" for Python 2.4 running on *nix
machines?

I need to store database passwords in a Python 2.4 script, but
obviously don't want them in clear text.

I'm looking for a reasonable level of security. What are some of my
options?

Also wondering if, for PythonWin, there is a module that will display
asterisks  rather than echo entered passwords in clear text. I see I
have access to the getpass module, but I can't get it to work--it
still echos typed-in passwords to the screen as clear text.