Gnu/Linux dialogue boxes in python

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 2 08:53:06 EST 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:55:16 +0200, Donn Ingle <donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Okay, so I am in the mood to try this: Inform the user about what modules
> the app requires in a graphical dialogue that can vary depending on what
> the system already has installed. (It will fail-to output on cli)
>
> I am running Kubuntu and I seem to have 'kdialog' installed by default (not
> sure if it came as stock.)
>
> What other 'stock' systems are there out there in the wild? Ubuntu? Suse?
> Fedora? Others?

There are countless Unix configurations out there which can run Python.

I run Debian Linux, and I install none of that KDE or Gnome
cra^H^H^Hsoftware.  Apt/dpkg uses some kind of console dialogue program
("newt"?) but that's the only thing I have.

There is no guarantee that even a modern, full-featured Unix
installation contains a dialogue application like you want.

> I would take a stab at wrapping them in python so that I can use the first
> dialogue system found to popup messages for the user.

But why?  Either

(a) your program has a GUI and can display a dialogue box by itself
(b) your program has a GUI but has problems opening even a tiny part
    of it (missing modules?), and should output diagnostics on the terminal
(c) your program is console-based, or a daemon or something, and should
    not require a GUI to work.

/Jörgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!