New+old-style multiple inheritance

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 03:57:43 EST 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Jonathan Gardner a écrit :
>> On Dec 18, 7:08 am, "stephen... at googlemail.com"
> (snip)
>> Monkey patching is definitely unpythonic.  You must be a Ruby guy.
>
> Strange enough, I learned monkey-patching with Python, years before I
> first heard of a language named Ruby.

Indeed. I believe the term started at Zope Corp.

Ah, Wikipedia supports my recollection:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_patch

(And I swear that it did so before I checked it.)

It looks like some Ruby folks have taken to calling the practice "duck
punching", which has a certain charm of its own.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco