SIP v4.8.1 Released
phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Tue Jun 16 14:28:53 CEST 2009
SIP v4.8.1 has been released and can be downloaded from
SIP is a tool for generating Python modules that wrap C or C++ libraries.
It is similar to SWIG. It is used to generate PyQt and PyKDE.
SIP is licensed under the Python License and runs on Windows, UNIX, Linux
and MacOS/X. SIP requires Python v2.3 or later.
The main focus of this release is support for Python v3.
Other features of SIP include:
- extension modules are implemented as a single binary .pyd or .so file (no
- support for Python new-style classes
- the ability to specify the super-type and meta-type used to wrap
- generated modules are quick to import, even for large libraries
- thread support
- the ability to re-implement C++ abstract and virtual methods in Python
- the ability to define Python classes that derive from abstract C++
- the ability to spread a class hierarchy across multiple Python modules
- support for C++ namespaces
- support for C++ exceptions
- support for C++ operators
- an extensible build system written in Python that supports over 50
- the generation of API files for IDEs that support autocompletion and call
More information about the Python-list