psycopg2 / psycopg2.ProgrammingError: syntax error at or near "E'mytable'"

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Apr 2 21:57:41 EDT 2010

MRAB wrote:
> I think that you're confusing Python's string formatting with
> SQL placeholders.
>
> The "%(table_name)s" works only with Python's '%' operator.
> You should use only the "%s" form (or possibly "?", I'm not
> sure which!)

It varies depending on your DB driver.  Check out the .paramstyle
property of your DB driver:

   >>> import sqlite3
   >>> sqlite3.paramstyle
   'qmark'

(sqlite uses "?" as the placeholder).  Annoying at times, but at
least documented and able to be automated which is more than I
can say for non-Python DB drivers.

> in the template string and pass the parameters in a tuple
> (maybe a list will also work) when calling .execute().

Additionally, the OP is passing in a *table-name*, not a
parameter value.  Most DB interfaces only allow things like

   # Okay:
   cur.execute("select * from tbl where field=?", (value,))

not

   # not okay
   cur.execute("select * from ? where field=42", (tblname,))

For this, you really have to (1) use Python string-formatting
instead of DB parameters and (2) THOROUGHLY vet that the
table-name isn't something malicious -- either through
controlling that it never comes from the user, or enforcing a
fairly strict limit on what table-names can be used if they do
come from the user.  Regardless of parameter placeholder style.

-tkc